04 Mar. 23

CP12 Landlord Gas Safety Certificate Kensington

gas safety certificateYour Landlord’s Legal Responsibilities – Getting a Gas Safety Certificate

You, as a landlord will need to make sure that your gas appliances and pipes are properly maintained. It is an obligation under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations of 1998.

First, you will need to have a Gas Safe certified engineer conduct a gas safety inspection. Once this has been done, they’ll give you a landlord gas safety certificate. This is a legally required document which your tenants will be entitled to see within 28 days of the check.

Verify the qualifications of your engineer

Whether you’re a short-term or long-term landlord, you have a legal responsibility to ensure your property’s gas appliances, flues and pipes are safe. This is done by a yearly inspection carried out by a Gas Safe engineer.

You should make sure that you hire an engineer with the proper qualifications for the maintenance and checks. Typically, these are heating engineers who have been trained in the installation, repair and maintenance of gas appliances.

You can check their qualifications by asking to see their Gas Safe Register ID card, which a qualified engineer should be carrying. This should contain their license number, start and expiry dates, a photo and a firm’s identity.

Gas Safe Register lists a large number of technicians that can perform routine maintenance and repairs on appliances and pipelinework. This is a vital step to protecting yourself and your tenants from potential gas safety hazards.

An engineer who is Gas Safe certified will provide you with a Landlord Gas Safety Record (12CP12). This document shows that you have had all necessary checks completed and ensures your tenants are safe to use the appliance. You will then need to give your current and new tenants a copy of this within 28 days of the check being completed.

If you’re a landlord, it’s essential to have all your gas appliances checked regularly and in accordance with the manufacturer guidelines. You can arrange this as part your boiler coverage or ask a Gas Safe registered engineer to perform it.

Regular maintenance will be required for your flues, appliances, pipework and chimneys. Depending on the manufacturer, these may need to be carried out every 12 months or so.

You should choose a Gas Safe certified engineer to inspect your property. Failure to do so can result in heavy fines and even jail time. An experienced gas engineer can give you security and keep your tenants comfortable and happy in your rental property.

If you’re looking for a qualified Gas Safe engineer, search the Gas Safe Register and get quotes from multiple traders in your area. It will vary depending on where you live and what type of work is required. However, the cost of the job usually runs around PS80.

Request a duplicate of the Gas Safe Card

Your landlord is required to arrange for a Gas Safe certified engineer to inspect all gas appliances in the property. Gas-related accidents, such as fires or explosions can be prevented by this.

After the engineers have completed their inspections, you will receive a copy your Landlord’s Gas Safety Record. This document will include details of the check that was carried out and what tests were conducted on the appliance. It’s a good idea to take this document with you when you leave your property, as it can prove useful if there’s ever a gas accident in your property in the future.

You should request a photo of the engineer’s Gas Safe card. This will prove that they are registered engineers. You will have peace of mind knowing that the engineer can perform the task they are asked to.

You have many options to obtain a copy the Gas Safe card of your landlord. One of the easiest is to contact your local council and ask them if they can supply you with a copy. They may even be able to send it to you by recorded delivery.

Alternatively, you could write to your landlord and ask them to arrange for their Gas Safe registered engineer to perform the test on the appliance in question. If they fail to comply with the law, you should report them online to the Health and Safety Executive.

If your landlord still refuses to give you the certificate, you should try to persuade them that they are in breach of the law and putting you and your family at risk. Then remind them of the fines that can be imposed on landlords who do not get their gas appliances checked by a Gas Safe engineer.

Finally, be sure to keep a copy of your landlord’s Gas Safety Record for at least two years from the date the check was carried out. This will allow you to easily show your tenants the results of their check and make any necessary arrangements for maintenance in the future.

Ensure your tenants are aware of their responsibilities

As a landlord, one of your responsibilities is to keep up to date with gas inspections and provide a record of this to your tenants. If you don’t do this, you could face fines of up to PS6,000 or even a jail sentence.

This is because it is a criminal offence to not have a valid gas safety certificate, known as a Landlord Gas Safety Record (CP12). A Gas Safe engineer can perform safety checks for you if you have any doubts about the gas appliance.

Once the engineer has completed the checks, they will issue you with a Landlord Gas Safety Record (CP12). This document details all work performed and ensures compliance with safety standards. The document should be retained for at least two years. A copy must be given to every tenant within 28 days after the inspection is completed. Also, copies must also go to all new tenants prior to their move-in.

If you have a gas service contract, it will automatically remind you when your landlord gas safety certificate is due to expire. You won’t need to remember to schedule it, which will help you save time and money.

Another important duty is to ensure your rental property has working fire safety systems. This includes smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms.

These alarms should be installed by landlords in every room and outside of all sleeping areas. They must also test them at the beginning of each tenancy and make sure they are functioning correctly.

In addition to having an efficient and safe fire system in place, you should also make sure that the building isn’t overly damp or has mould problems. Mold can be an environmental issue that can lead to health problems such as asthma attacks and respiratory issues.

The good news is that you are legally required to deal with any moisture problems and make any repairs that are needed to avoid them. This is especially true if the building is rented to families.

A landlord may become angry with tenants and deny access to maintenance and safety inspections. This can be difficult to overcome but you should not give up. You must show that you took all reasonable steps to conform to the law. This includes repeated attempts at completing the checks.

Keep records of maintenance

If you’re a landlord, you need to ensure that gas appliances, pipework and flues in your property are maintained and serviced properly. This means getting a gas safety certificate from a registered engineer every year, and also keeping records of the check.

This is a legal requirement and it’s important that you meet your responsibilities. Non-compliance can result in a conviction and a PS6,000 fine. Your insurance policy could also be invalidated. In the worst cases, you could face a manslaughter charge if a tenant is killed as a result of your failure to carry out proper checks and maintenance.

Keep records of any work that you do on the properties of your tenants. This can help you prove that you’ve done everything required under the law, which might be difficult if your tenants are being uncooperative or refusing to let you into their home.

Another way to get organised is by using digital gas certificate software. They are an excellent way to improve your company’s efficiency and professionalism. They also project a clean image to your customers, which can be especially helpful for lettings agents who are looking for an eco-friendly solution.

These systems can be used as extensions to full-time job management software. You can create reminders for your clients about service due dates, such as 30-60 or 90 days. You can keep track of repairs and maintenance, so your tenants will feel confident that they are safe.

To determine how frequently you should have them serviced, it is worth looking at the instructions provided by each manufacturer. Generally speaking, you should get them serviced at least once a year, but your engineer should be able to advise you on the best time.

A good way to get your gas appliances in tip-top condition is to take out a service contract from an engineer that specialises in servicing gas equipment. This will mean you can easily get the necessary maintenance completed as part of your annual service. 

We cover Kensington and Chelsea, Holland Park, Earls Court, South Kensington, West Kensington, Kensington Gardens, Knightsbridge, Bayswater, West Brompton, Notting Hill all of london and outside the M25.

UK Gas Plumbers
160 City Road, London, EC1V 2NX

020 3441 1862
Book CP12 Gas Safety Certificate in Kensington info@ukgasplumbers.com